NMC ROYAL HOSPITAL
The exit corridors of NMC Royal Hospital are compartmentalized from the waiting areas using CONTRAFLAM® fire-rated glass. CONTRAFLAM® offers complete thermal insulation (EI fire-rating) for a duration of 2 hours. The glass was installed as a part of a fixed partition system supplied by Forster. The system solutions, tested and certified as per the EN standards, helped Society Technology House, the architect, fulfill the passive fire-safety requirements for hospitals prescribed in the UAE Fire & Life Safety Code.
The use of fire-resistant glass in hospitals, in addition to ensuring safety, brings with it the benefits of daylight, transparency and comfort. They are proven to increase patients’ well-being as well as their speed of recovery. Good architecture in the health-care segment also increases the attractiveness of medical facilities and workspaces, enables staff to make good decisions and, therefore, improves the quality of care.
PROJECT KEY ACHIEVEMENTS
- 120 minutes fire-resistant solution to ensure unhampered evacuation through the exit corridors
- The glass offers up to 45dB sound reduction to ensure a calm recuperative environment for the occupants
PROJECT KEY CHALLENGES
- Developing a system solution that offers fire-resistance of the highest order, EI (thermal insulation) fire rating for 2 hours
- Tight timelines for delivery, execution, and handover at site
- Architect: Society Technology House
- Glass Customer: White Aluminium
- System Partner: Forster
- Building Owner: NMC Specialty Hospital LLC
- Photographer: Chris Goldstraw